[bestbits] Best Bits workshop proposal for the 2013 IGF]

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Mon Mar 18 23:06:32 EDT 2013

On 18/03/13 22:14, Andrew Puddephatt wrote:
> Workshop 1: *Who runs the internet -- how civil society can have a voice*
>
> / /
>
> /Concise description of broader thematic area of interest (500
> characters):/

I would suggest that perhaps this first one could be a even more
focussed on specific proposals for reform to existing processes and
mechanisms, rather than a general  discussion of roles and
responsibilities in the abstract.  Remembering also that this will be a
session in which we report back on the discussions that we have already
had as Best Bits.  Hopefully we will have made enough progress that we
can be a bit more concrete in what we present at the IGF workshop.

> //
>
> This multi-stakeholder discussion will seek to identify the
> appropriate role for different stakeholders, governments, business and
> civil society and how effective multi-stakeholder working can be
> encouraged.

Maybe replace this part with "This multi-stakeholder discussion will
present outputs from a civil society network, Best Bits, that has
brainstormed ideas for effective multi-stakeholder working arrangements
that allow different stakeholders, governments, business and civil
society, to take an appropriate role in the future of Internet governance."

> / Concise description of specific issues or policy questions to be
> addressed (500 characters)/

Maybe add or replace as appropriate (I'm not wedded to the exact
wording, but you get the idea):

  * Where are existing Internet governance arrangements failing, and
    whom are they failing the most?
  * What improvements could be made to these arrangements without
    setting the scene for an intergovernmental takeover of the Internet?*
  * How could the suggestions of the Best Bits group be taken forward
    (eg. as appropriate within within the CSTD Working Group, the MAG,
    the General Assembly, etc)?

* I figure - no reason to beat about the bush, let's acknowledge and
confront this fear directly.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

WCRD 2013 -- Consumer Justice Now! | Consumer Protection Map:
https://wcrd2013.crowdmap.com/main | #wcrd2013

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational