[bestbits] US Surveillance/PRISM leak and responses

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Mon Jun 10 04:11:05 EDT 2013

Dear all

Many of you are following the debate I am sure on the recent news on how
internet users around the world and their human rights online are
possibly affected by how the US Patriot Act can allow surveillance at a
global level.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/us-company-officials-internet-surveillance-does-not-indiscriminately-mine-data/2013/06/08/5b3bb234-d07d-11e2-9f1a-1a7cdee20287_print.html

The Best Bits coalition is taking the lead in organizing a clear
response to the implications of this leaked information and I would urge
all IRP Coalition members, particularly those with legal expertise, to
get involved with the drafting, post haste. As the IRP Charter is
directly relevant to these recent events, indeed its whole purpose and
aim to provide a baseline for just these sorts of occurrences and
anyone in the coalition concerned about how law can be (mis)used to
serve ends that are detrimental to human rights.

The news broke late last week so a lot has to happen quickly. I will
forward a couple of mails relevant to how the current mobilization is
unfolding.

Do coalition members agree that we should lend our support to this
action? It will result no doubt in a statement and some interventions
from the floor so all the more reason to get involved and make a
contribution now.

best
MF

Dr Marianne Franklin
Reader
Convener: Global Media & Transnational Communications Program
Co-Chair Internet Rights & Principles Coalition (UN IGF)
Goldsmiths, University of London
Dept. of Media & Communications
New Cross, London SE14 6NW
Tel: +44 20 7919 7072