[bestbits] [IP] DNI releases Fact Sheet on PRISM, but the damage is already done

Deborah Brown deborah at accessnow.org
Sun Jun 9 13:47:07 EDT 2013

Dear all,

I think a parallel intervention via the Human Rights Council is an
excellent idea, and a timely one- *on Monday (10 June)* the coalition of
governments that led the "Human Rights and the Internet" resolution (
A/HRC/RES/20/8<http://daccess-dds-ny.un.org/doc/RESOLUTION/GEN/G12/153/25/PDF/G1215325.pdf?OpenElement>)
is planning a cross-regional statement to reaffirm the principles of that
resolution. This core group, led by Sweden, includes Brazil, Nigeria,
Tunisia, Turkey, and *USA. *I understand that they are planning to deliver
the statement under agenda item 8, which is at 15:00 Geneva time. IMHO this
would be the time to deliver a civil society intervention. And taking a
look at the HRC's programme of work for the rest of the week, there doesn't
really seem to be an equally opportune time, but that's of course subject
to change.

It is my understanding that written statements from NGOs must be submitted
2 weeks ahead of the session's opening (so we're too late there) and that
requests for oral interventions must be confirmed 24 hours preceding the
relevant meetings (so again we're late). However if anyone knows of an
ECOSOC accredited NGO (i.e. an NGO w/speaking rights at the HRC) which
might have put in a request for an oral intervention under agenda item 8
(Follow-up and implementation of the Vienna Declaration and Programme of
Action) and might be interested in raising issues relating to surveillance
and human rights, perhaps we could work with them to deliver a statement.

In any case, we could still work on a statement to be released around this
discussion, or later in the HRC session, which ends this week. Jeremy, have
you had the chance to work on an outline? If not, I'm happy to help start
the drafting process. My main concern is whether we have enough time for
significant participation from a diversity of groups so that this is coming
from a global coalition.

Best,
Deborah

--