[bestbits] PRISM - is it about the territorial location of data or its legal ownership

Andrew Puddephatt Andrew at gp-digital.org
Tue Jun 25 11:59:55 EDT 2013

Just welcoming Parminder’s focus on companies here.  I feel that the current situation is an opportunity to push the companies a lot more rigorously than we have been able to do so far.   I like the idea of global norms and principles and I wonder if anyone has done any detailed work on this in relation to security/surveillance and jurisdictional questions – specifically the role of global companies rooted in one jurisdiction (principally the US I would guess?).    I note that some German MPs are calling for US companies to establish a German cloud distinct and separate from US jurisdiction..

I think we can strategically link the two issues that Parminder has flagged up – we can reinforce the push for norms and principles pointing out this is a way for country’s to escape the US orbit – as long as we can avoid the danger of breaking the internet into separate national infrastructures – which is where the norms and principles need to be carefully defined.   Is this something we can discuss online and then discuss in person at Bali?

Looking at the GNI principle on privacy it says:

Privacy is a human right and guarantor of human dignity. Privacy is important to maintaining personal security, protecting identity and promoting freedom of expression in the digital age.

Everyone should be free from illegal or arbitrary interference with the right to privacy and should have the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.

The right to privacy should not be restricted by governments, except in narrowly defined circumstances based on internationally recognized laws and standards. These restrictions should be consistent with international human rights laws and standards, the rule of law and be necessary and proportionate for the relevant purpose.

Participating companies will employ protections with respect to personal information in all countries where they operate in order to protect the privacy rights of users.

Participating companies will respect and protect the privacy rights of users when confronted with government demands, laws or regulations that compromise privacy in a manner inconsistent with internationally recognized laws and standards.

Is this something to build upon?   The final clause is interesting – it implies that signatory companies will respect privacy even when asked to comply with laws that breach internationally recognized laws and standards which I assume everyone thinks that FISA does?

Andrew Puddephatt | GLOBAL PARTNERS DIGITAL
Executive Director
Development House, 56–64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT