[bestbits] RE: [governance] FW: [IP] NSA has direct access to tech giants' systems for user data, secrAnet files reveal | World news | guardian.co.uk

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 02:58:29 EDT 2013

Yes, of course, but to state the obvious...

While the remit of the US Congress, the US constitution etc.etc. is to
govern/protect the US and its citizens, the Internet is global as are the
businesses that operate on/with the Internet and particularly the global
Internet giants which for various reasons are in large part US
based--Google, Facebook, Microsoft etc.; and as well the interests and reach
of the US based security system are equally global as evidenced by the
statement from Mr.  Clapper.

So on the one hand we have systems of controls and accountabilities that are
national and on the other hand we have actions and interests that are
global.

And meanwhile we have the same folks who are benefiting from this mismatch
acting with all of their very considerable talents and resources to prevent
the development of any means to resolve this mismatch as for example by
insisting that a status quo global Internet governance regime represents the
highest form of ethical and responsible behaviour on the Internet while the
only real protections and controls that are available within it are those
that benefit (and protect) US citizens alone.