[bestbits] RE: [governance] FW: [IP] NSA has direct access to tech giants' systems for user data, secrAnet files reveal | World news | guardian.co.uk

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jun 7 13:38:56 EDT 2013

Rogue power can *only* be addressed by legitimate power. And legitimate
power should stem from people's will. Democracy consists in creating and
operating institutions that can convert people's will into *exercisable*
legitimate power to resist rogue power, however inefficient such a
conversion in practice may be (which needs continuous engagements for
evolutionary - and sometimes revolutionary - improvements).

  So, the response to counter the rogue (global) power of US plus big
Internet businesses is to create legitimate power vis a vis the global
Internet.

Refusing the existence of rogue power, or otherwise doing nothing about
it, just helps propagate it. Such a stance, in my view, constitutes
active politics in favour of rogue power.

Simple and basic political theory, but many in the IG space seem to so
often miss it...