[bestbits] RE: International civil society letter to Congress to follow up from HRC statement

Andrew Puddephatt Andrew at gp-digital.org
Wed Jun 12 04:41:05 EDT 2013

Hi everyone

As we are referring to specific US legislation - Section 215 of the USA PATRIOT Act, the State Secrets Privilege, and the FISA Amendments Act I'd like to understand the legislation.  From what I can read FISA talks about establishing a court  "which shall have jurisdiction to hear applications for and grant orders approving electronic surveillance anywhere within the United States" and Section 215 then expands the scope of records searches dealt with by the court.  This is obviously a concern to US citizens but a letter from international organisations should pick up on the issue of non US citizens.

Can someone direct me to any relevant legislation that refers to non US citizens, if there is such legislation?  Can our US friends tell us which bit of legislation, if any,  allows the surveillance of non US citizens?  I want to be clear whether this is happening outside of the law (an executive branch responsibility) or within the law (the legislative branch)

Andrew Puddephatt Executive Director
GLOBAL PARTNERS DIGITAL
Direct:   +44 (0)20 7549 0336
Office: +44 (0)20 7549 0350