[bestbits] List privacy

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Wed Jun 12 00:37:05 EDT 2013

Someone has asked me to remind list members of the privacy settings of
the list.

Best Bits is a civil society coalition, but we do not limit who can join
the mailing list.  Therefore there are some lurkers/observers from
governments and corporations, including (in both cases) those who are
the subject of the current PRISM/NSA scandal.

As a subscriber, your details are visible to other authenticated
subscribers via the list website at
http://lists.bestbits.net/wws/review/bestbits.  (That list setting has
been debated in the past, but the consensus at the time was for openness.)

If there is the desire for a parallel closed list, then there is no
technical barrier to creating one.  Most recently I had proposed that
the "EC" sub-list, which is tasked with developing a proposal on
enhanced cooperation for discussion at our next face-to-face meeting, be
closed, but this was opposed by some, so it remains open too.

If anyone has thoughts on the above, you can share them in this thread,
or privately if you prefer.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge
hub | http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational