[bestbits] Re: [IRPCoalition] CS statement: DNI releases Fact Sheet on PRISM, but the damage is already done

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Tue Jun 11 06:00:28 EDT 2013

Dear Parminder

To make an oral statement in the HRC accredited NGOs have to book a
speaking slot in advance.

When you book a speaking slot you have to state the name of the person
who will present the statement. You also have to upload the statement
which is why the editing had to be done in such a rush early morning
yesterday (Monday 10 June). The agenda item we requested to speak to
(General Debate, Item 8) was scheduled to start at 15h00.

If that person cannot be present you have to send a signed letter to the
Office of the High Commissioner to state why the named person cannot
read the statement and to request permission for them to allow someone
else to read the statement on your behalf.

Yesterday morning I booked a speaking lost as APC in my own name. That
was the only way of doing it as the other organisations we had
approached had already booked their own speaking slots and could not
book another for that agenda item.

Human Rights Watch (Philippe) graciously said that their intern could
read the statement on our behalf. I then had to write a signed formal
letter on APC letterhead to state that I could not be present but that
we authorise the HRW intern to read the statement. She had to go to the
OHCHR to present herself with a copy of the proxy letter and the statement.

We were added to roster and in the end when they gave us the floor the
slot was announced as a statement from APC and from Reporters Without
Borders as they (through the kind effort of Helene Sackstein) were happy
to share a slot with us.

Therefore the president of the HRC would have given the floor to APC and
RSF/RWB.

The text of the statement that was read started off saying that this
statement is on behalf of more than 30 NGOs. With only 2 minutes it is
understandbly not possible to read on whose behalf, and in any case, if
they are not all accredited it might not be considered appropriate to
name them in the first place.

I hope that helps to clarify the process.

Anriette