[bestbits] Re: Call for comment: civil society letter to PCLOB re: human rights impacts of NSA surveillance of 'non-US persons'

Deborah Brown deborah at accessnow.org
Sun Jul 28 13:12:08 EDT 2013

Dear all,

First, thank you Parminder for raising this important concern. Some of the
original drafters of the text, as well as those who had commented on this
particular sentence, made a concerted effort to clarify and incorporate the
various views and concerns expressed on the sentence in question. The
following formulation was reached as a compromise:
"We believe that such findings and recommendations would not only be
consistent with the U.S. government’s frequently stated commitment to
‘freedom online’, but would also constitute a valuable contribution to
developing and implementing a robust global framework for such protections."

Recognizing that this was not a perfect process and that we'll need to
strive to do better in the future, I hope many on this list be able to
support this text and recognize the effort that went into trying to
accommodate various viewpoints.

The text has been updated to reflect this small change, and is available
for sign on here: http://bestbits.net/pclob/

Best regards,
Deborah

--