[bestbits] IGF - and the corporatisation scandal

Paul Wilson pwilson at apnic.net
Sat Jul 27 05:25:45 EDT 2013

Pardon me Parminder, but where exactly is the "scandal"?  It would help if you could explain what position you are taking.

This organising committee has been "delegated" the task of hosting the IGF, and simply cannot raise the funds through donations.  The Government has been unable to contribute (recently declining yet again, and proposing to cancel the event); and the UN, far from supporting the event financially, requires substantial costs to be paid for secure, staff, travel and other.

The Indonesian committee is a multistakeholder grouping, including industry and community.  They are unable to attract donations, so they are proposing, it seems, to attract funding by providing some traditional "value" back to contributors.  The deal is nothing new - it seems to be a rather standard sponsorship arrangement.

As far as I am aware there has been no clearance given from anyone for this particular approach; so I assume it is still a "proposal".  For a hard-working committee, which has been more-or-less cut adrift, this kind of additional fund-raising work was not expected, on top of the big job of making the event happen.  They are largely alone and trying to do their best, to support an event which is supposed to be inclusive and supportive of new modes of organisation, yet support seems to be sadly lacking.

Rather than cries of "scandal" I'm sure that constructive contributions would be far more welcomed, by those who are actually doing the work.

Paul.