[bestbits] Re: Call for comment: civil society letter to PCLOB re: human rights impacts of NSA surveillance of 'non-US persons'

matthew shears mshears at cdt.org
Wed Jul 24 10:13:41 EDT 2013

Good discussion and important issues.  Parminder raises valid points
about the need for us to have a more robust discussion around the need
for global approaches and/or frameworks to protecting rights.

For this particular effort though I would, as suggested by Anriette,
keep the focus on responding to the PCLOB and identifying our concerns
within that framing.  I think the additional para as proposed by
Anriette makes sense but I would suggest that we phrase it as "to the
developing global framework" rather than "to the eventual development of
a global framework." There are components of a global framework in place
- for example, the rights (and obligations) that we seek to have
governments uphold.  Hopefully the findings and recommendations of the
PCLOB will lend themselves to strengthening/evolving the global framework.

Matthew

--

Matthew Shears
Director and Representative