[bestbits] Re: Call for comment: civil society letter to PCLOB re: human rights impacts of NSA surveillance of 'non-US persons'

Emma Llanso ellanso at cdt.org
Tue Jul 23 21:08:18 EDT 2013

Dear all,

As you may be aware, the US Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board
is accepting comments  commentary regarding the US government's
surveillance programs under the PATRIOT Act and FISA.  (I've included
some information about PCLOB below in case you're not familiar with this
entity.)  I'd like to share with you a draft was put together by CDT,
with feedback from a number of folks on this list, that focuses on the
impact these programs have on the human rights of individuals outside
the US:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/17BWIev_DybbML3ObDCORkW83THrNGuJrHlV5sQLdYA0/edit?usp=sharing

We feel that the draft text is at a point where it's ready to be
shared with the broader Best Bits community for comment.  Please share
any comments you have on the letter text with the whole list. (I will be
traveling on Wednesday and so slow to respond to email.)  Ideally, we'd
like to have a final draft of the letter text available to circulate
during the day on Thursday, giving us about a week to solicit sign-on
from as broad an array of groups as possible.  This is a very compressed
timeframe, unfortunately, but the deadline for submitting comments is
August 1st, so there is not much flexibility in the schedule.

The Best Bits interim steering committee has agreed to host the final
letter text on the Best Bits website to facilitate sign-on once we've
reached that point.

It's worth noting here that while a joint letter with broad
international sign in is one way of getting the US government to
consider the rights of non-US persons, so is flooding PCLOB with
individual letters from international groups, so please feel free to
adapt or build on to this letter and submit it separately. We
intentionally did not make recommendations to PCLOB so as to garner
broad sign on (more on that below), but individual letters are a good
opportunity to make specific recommendations.

*Background on the letter:*
PCLOB will be preparing a report and is accepting comments
<http://www.regulations.gov/#%21documentDetail;D=PCLOB-2013-0005-0001>
(with no limitations on who can submit comments) until August 1st. As
many of you know, it's been an uphill battle to get any attention on
this critical issue of extraterritorial impacts of the US surveillance
programs. PCLOB hosted an open hearing on the NSA program earlier in
July, and there was unfortunately only a single reference to the human
rights of people other than US citizens during the entire hearing.  We
think this comment process is one of the better opportunities that
groups from outside the US will have in making their opinions about the
US surveillance activities heard.  I'd highly encourage organizations
and individuals to make their own comments into this process, in
addition to considering signing this letter.

As a final note, the letter intentionally does not lay out
recommendations more specific than "take into consideration the human
rights of individuals outside the US", for several reasons. First, it
will likely be more difficult for a broad range of groups to sign onto
something urging very specific legal or policy remedies.  Further, I
wouldn't want to see a short, easily agreed set of recommendations (e.g.
focusing on transparency) get interpreted to mean that those fixes are
the only thing the US government needs to do to remedy the situation.
Transparency is an important initial step, but it's far from the only
action needed here (a point CDT will be emphasizing in our individual
comments to PCLOB).  Again, I'd strongly recommend groups file
individual comments as well, particularly if you have specific
recommendations and actions for the Board.

Looking forward to your comments,
Emma

*PCLOB - WHAT IS IT?* -
https://www.federalregister.gov/agencies/privacy-and-civil-liberties-oversight-board

The Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board is an advisory body to
assist the President and other senior Executive branch officials in
ensuring that concerns with respect to privacy and civil liberties are
appropriately considered in the implementation of all laws, regulations,
and executive branch policies related to war against terrorism.

Recommended by the July 22, 2004, report of the National Commission on
Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States, the Privacy and Civil
Liberties Oversight Board was established by the Intelligence Reform and
Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004. It consists of five members appointed
by and serving at the pleasure of the President. The Board is part of
the White House Office within the Executive Office of the President and
supported by an Executive Director and staff.

The Board advises the President and other senior executive branch
officials to ensure that concerns with respect to privacy and civil
liberties are appropriately considered in the implementation of all
laws, regulations, and executive branch policies related to efforts to
protect the Nation against terrorism. This includes advising on whether
adequate guidelines, supervision, and oversight exist to protect these
important legal rights of all Americans. In addition, the Board is
specifically charged with responsibility for reviewing the terrorism
information sharing practices of executive branch departments and
agencies to determine whether guidelines designed to appropriately
protect privacy and civil liberties are being followed, including those
issued by the President on December 16, 2005. In the course of
performing these functions within the executive branch, the Board seeks
the views of private sector, non-profit and academic institutions,
Members of Congress, and all other interested parties and individuals on
these issues.

This agency has published 13 articles
<https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/search?conditions%5Bagency_ids%5D%5B%5D=438&skip_results=1#advanced>
since 1994.