[bestbits] [governance] Multistakeholder Roles and Responsibilities

Gene Kimmelman genekimmelman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 06:52:33 EST 2013

I agree also on this approach

-------- Original message --------
From: matthew shears <mshears at cdt.org>
To: bestbits at lists.igcaucus.org,Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org>,joana at varonferraz.com
Subject: Re: [bestbits] [governance] Multistakeholder Roles and Responsibilities

I agree with Joana and Jeremy - there are two communications we should do pretty quickly:

1) take the Best Bits WCIT statement and adapt it - or at least the first part on transparency and access, etc. - to the WTPF.  I personally don't see the participation challenges for civil society being much less than they were at the WCIT - which is ironic because the WTPF is not a treaty-making conference - and the IEG is not adequate by any means (I am on the IEG and will be attending next week).  I'm sure CDT would be happy to take a first cut at this text.

2) follow-up on the letter to the SG and the meeting we had in Dubai in which participation in the WTPF was discussed.

If there is agreement on text on 1 above I can raise points from it or read it in the IEG meeting next week for Best Bits.

While I understand the Brazilian telecoms regulator's view there are a number of points in the SG's 4th report that refer to     multistakeholderism in Internet governance issues and there are two opinions submitted so far that take positions I believe are contrary to civil society's interests in terms of stakeholder participation and enhanced cooperation.   I think civil society messaging on these issues is as important for the WTPF as it was for the WCIT.

And finally, who on this list is going to the UNESCO WSIS/IGF meeting at the end of February?  Thought it might be good to have a gathering during that week to compare notes on WSIS+10/IGF and discuss WTPF?

Best

Matthew