[bestbits] RE: [IRPCoalition] Blogpost: Civil Society and the Emerging Internet Cold War: Non-Alignment and the Public Interest

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 20:35:36 EST 2013

Hi Bertrand,

The Cold War analogy wasn't my usage, rather I first saw it in the
Economist
 I must say though that, regrettably, a lot of the rhetoric and
posturing from certain of our colleagues including in CS was very much of
the Cold War variety including ominous characterizations in various forums
of the fact that Toure had been "educated in Russia", frissant, frissant

The terminology has come to be more widely used including somewhat tongue in
cheek by myself because it so neatly fit the "us good guys vs. those forces
of evil" reality of how various folks approached the WCIT discussions.  If
you go back into my interventions on this issue both on the "governance"
list and on my blog I was arguing for nuance and a larger understanding of
the overall issues that were at play (motivated in fact by your type of
vison) than the extreme simplifications of the "Internet Freedom" warriors
and their dark mutterings about UN takeovers of the Internet and deep
Machiavellian plots by countries "out to steal the Internet".

So rather than chiding me on this I'll give you a rather lengthy list of
those whose gross (and dare I say self-serving) simplifications made such a
characterization quite inevitable, not from me but from most everyone else
in the world who wasn't riding on that particular Independence Day float.

And yes, I'm agreeing with you and hoping that the kind of polarization that
was seen at the WCIT is a one time thing but if that is to be avoided there
has to be a degree of recognition of the need of an Internet that benefits
all with some degree of equity. That in turn means a recognition that the
Internet is too important to be left simply to the determination of the
currently dominant Internet corporations and their nation state supporters
and allies; but rather means need to be found to ensure an Internet that
develops and operates truly as a global commons and in the global public
interest.