[bestbits] RE: [IRPCoalition] Blogpost: Civil Society and the Emerging Internet Cold War: Non-Alignment and the Public Interest

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 18:47:44 EST 2013

McTim, my point was and remains that there are a range of issues involved in
these matters and that the polarization generated at the WCIT may serve the
interests of some but it doesn't necessarily reflect reality nor the
interests/values of CS.

CS should be looking for higher ground (to my mind support for the Internet
as a global public good) and finding allies in support of this wherever they
can found.  The focusing in the WCIT (and dare I say before that at the IGF)
on the Internet Freedom issue by certain elements within CS and others
ignored the very large range of issues on which agreement could and should
be found and overall as I said CS should be "non-aligned" in the emerging
"Internet Cold War" and developing it's own position(s) which include among
others free expression, human rights, and digital inclusion.