[bestbits] Best Bits MAG nominations for your approval - URGENT

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 10:28:15 EST 2013

Can I quote from the BB “procedures” (BTW, I probably missed it but when were these proposed and ratified?)

·  A proposal’s status is not determined by counting votes. Polling is not a substitute for discussion <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Polling_is_not_a_substitute_for_discussion> , nor is a poll’s numerical outcome tantamount to consensus.

·  If consensus for broad community support has not developed after a reasonable time period, the proposal is considered failed. If consensus is neutral or unclear on the issue and unlikely to improve, the proposal has likewise failed.

And I’m still waiting for some reasonable response to my counter-proposal… The various “harumphs” and immediate changes of the subject aren’t really very convincing… And of course, the details don’t matter—what does matter is that some basis of legitimacy be established through agreed upon rules and actions/decisions undertaken as governed by those rules—interim this, pie in the sky kicking the ball ahead 6 or 8 months, fuzzifying precisely who/what/how/when/where the steering/coordinating committee also doesn’t help at all… (so where exactly did this “interim” steering committee come from and how was it chosen and by whom?

I think it is extremely important that CS get its act together for Brazil but if the intention is to have a common front then there needs to be openness and transparency all round.  If the intention is to attempt to present a common front but without accepting the constraints/requirements that go along with that then there will, as we are currently seeing, be some major difficulties.

As of now the Community Informatics network as aligned around an “Internet Justice” platform is sufficiently “formalized” that I can speak on its behalf as a global network of community/grassroots and community/grassroots oriented practitioners, researchers, and activists and make representations including to Inet and the Brazilian authorities on its behalf.  I would be more than pleased if we are able to lend our weight to a common BB led initiative towards Brazil but only if I/we are comfortable with how that proceeds and if we have a means for ensuring that our concerns are being addressed.

Mike