[bestbits] Input needed - criteria for CS Coordination Group

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 05:38:52 EST 2013

Hi Ian

Thanks for this

>  On Dec 30, 2013, at 6:05 AM, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:

> Criteria discussed so far include:
>
>  	1.       Is a coalition which is globally representative - all regions covered?
> 2.       Is it non-commercial and public interest oriented (as opposed to business)?

> 3.  Would it more properly fit under technical community, academic, business or government in its categorization?
>
> 4.  Is a large part of this coalition's members already covered by one of the existing  members?

> 5. The internal governance of the coalition is adequately transparent and accountable to its members.
>
> Other suggestions have been discussed from time to time and I invite others to make up for any omissions here.

> An additional criteria that might be useful would be a reference to having a substantial current involvement in and knowledge of internet governance debates. That however might not be acceptable to all – but for me, the criteria as they stand would be open to approaches from YWCA, Medicin sans Frontieres, Pirate Parties International, Red Cross, Amnesty International, CONGO, Creative Commons, International Commission of Jurists,etc. All good groups, and it would be great to see them involved here, but the question is whether the presence of all of them would be useful for a small working co-ordination group on matters specific to internet governance. This along with other suggestions should be discussed.

I’m hard pressed to understand on what grounds your last suggestion would be unacceptable; frankly, one could argue it should be the first criteria.   Networks wanting to claim leadership roles in a network of networks focused on global IG should actually be involved in global IG.  Such involvement should be empirically verifiable—there should be some way to ascertain, other than through the applicants’ insistent assertions, that participants have demonstrated their interest and expertise on xyz GIG issues and participated in xyz GIG processes, release xyz position statements, something….there’s ought be a digital paper trail.  Absent this, you we might as well invite the Global Donkey Association to apply.

Best

Bill