[bestbits] Re: [discuss] [governance] Report from the BR meeting local organizing group - Dec 2013

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Dec 27 01:26:10 EST 2013

John

Thanks for your response and the information you have shared...

I can of course agree with you that 1Net, not yet having any clear
purpose or structure in place, should hardly be in a position to
strongly seek anything...

However, the plain and visible fact remains that 1Net has been given a
very important/ central role in organisation of 'Brazil meeting', despite,

1. claims by Brazilians at and since Bali that it is they and they alone
who are organising the meeting, as a neutral trusted broker and so on,
while all others are 'equally' welcome....
2. clear requests, madeformallyby civil society, that they have no
intention to go through 1Net in terms of its involvement in the Brazil
meeting...

How does one get conferred such a role, against such adverse
circumstances? No one for instance approached Civil Society Internet
Governance Caucus to take up such a central role!

I think it clearly follows that if 1Net is not 'seeking' anything, there
are some extremely, repeat, extremely, powerful people seeking such a
role for 1Net.... I leave people to make their own guesses who these
powerful people might be.... But this fact certainly puts 1Net is a
certain perspective, which at the very least seems to compromise its
supposedly open, bottom up, 'movement' character - with which kind of
declarations it was launched...

Even before a structure - supposedly, bottom up, participative etc - is
built for 1Net, some powerful people seem already convinced (rather,
'know') about its role, purpose, and, I dare extrapolate, even the
directions that it will lead to, to be so confident to be  be
aggressively pushing it to have such a central role in organising the
Brazil meeting....

I can see no other reason why (specific motivations) and how (the power
of those so motivated) was, for instance, civil society denied its right
to decide the manner of its participation in the Brazil meeting...

If 1Net is to become the front of such non transparent motivations of
some powerful players, it puts an unfortunate shadow on its genuine
possibilities, al least some of which I could see and appreciate.

parminder