[bestbits] Call to Best Bits participants for nominations to Brazil meeting committees

McTim mctimconsulting at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 12:39:05 EST 2013

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Jean-Christophe NOTHIAS I The Global
Journal <jc.nothias at theglobaljournal.net> wrote:
> Guru,
>
> I have been told that ICANN had offered to pay the experts attending the
> last HLP in London.

I would certainly hope so.

When one is asked to contribute ones expertise, one usually likes to
be compensated for one's time.

 Could Bill confirm this, and let us know if he accepted
> to be paid. In the context of a public debate, touching public policy
> related to IG, I would be interested to have more information on this. We
> might ask ICANN as well. Are the members of the HLP being paid as well?
> What's ICANN policy on this? It is always good to have such a nice host able
> to pay for your travel, accommodation and words.

It is to be expected really.

> Another thing which sounds a bit odd to me concerns the number of available
> seats at the HLP. Chehadé mentioned that he would have no more room that 1
> or 2. But from the report we received from London, they were quite a few
> people, neither participants or experts, attending.

Attending, but not sitting on the Panel.  One wouldn't expect that the
Panel would meet
in camera.

 Of course, ICANN is
> master of the house but, again, just wondering about the way things are
> done.
>
> How much money is being spent on the HLP, in London? How much will cost the
> next Californian meeting of the HLP?

Shedloads if you are talking in terms of my household budget, a
pittance if you are talking in terms of the ICANN budget.  I imagine
it will all be available in the next annual report, but I wouldn't
expect those numbers before then.

> Can someone tell us how much is paid a board member at ICANN?

Google knows.

Not all Board Members accept the 35k USD (I think that is the number).
 Until quite recently, only the Board Chair was offered a salary.

Considering the time they put in, I think ICANN gets great value for
their money!

rgds,

McTim