[bestbits] Call to Best Bits participants for nominations to Brazil meeting committees

Guru गुरु Guru at ITforChange.net
Tue Dec 24 08:56:50 EST 2013

On 12/24/2013 05:54 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

> On 24-Dec-13 03:18, Mawaki Chango wrote:
>> "Don't worry getting yourself out of poverty by trying to speak for
>> yourself (for instance, by trying to expose the structural imbalances
>> that maintain the conditions causing poverty,) just be content with us
>> taking care of your needs as we understand them (by maintaining and
>> feeding in the public aid apparatus so that you can get something to eat
>> everyday while we enjoy self-gratification for doing good)."
>

> Well I suppose you can read anything, any way you wish, I contend that
> your reading is a prejudicial and specious misconstruction.
>
> I said nothing about people not arguing their case as vociferously as
> they might wish.  And I said nothing about not applying for a
> representative role.
>
> What I said is that when one accepts a representative role, they go on
> to represent the whole group and not just the one particular set of
> beliefs and agendas they come in with.
>
> And what I think is wrong is getting a position as a CS representative
> and then doing everything you can to put forward your personal agenda
> at the cost of the rest of civil society's positions.  Sure make sure
> your position gets heard and understood as well as is possible, just
> don't do it by by tearing down the work everyone else is trying to do
> as well. This means that you have to pick people who despite having a
> minority view can work with the majority as well.
>
> So sure put in the criterion of including minority viewpoints, but
> also put in the criterion of "plays well with others."
>
> avri

Avri,

I had sent you a long mail, that this kind of argument is very dangerous
- it enables the dominant hegemonic group to simply blank out dissent -
'Behave yourself or you are out' - this is basically the essence of what
you are proposing. You are repeating your prejudicial and specious views.

(Your views are surprising to me, I understand your primary political
leaning to be anarchical - which would tend to support a minority over a
dominant majority, rather than demand any kind of compliance)

regards,
Guru