FW: [bestbits] Proposal on Best Bits governance

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 00:46:35 EST 2013

Please note the date.

-----Original Message-----
From: michael gurstein [mailto:gurstein at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2013 11:54 AM
To: 'anriette at apc.org'; 'bestbits at lists.bestbits.net'
Subject: RE: [bestbits] Proposal on Best Bits governance

Hi Anriette,

(very quick note..

No aspersions cast or intended on any of the eminent colleagues involved with BB development and current leadership.

However, your note is basically the same as the one my original post was responding to and my response to it is the same -- trust but verify...

Also, the issue of the timing and urgency rings rather hollow since as you well know BB has been around now for about a year and a half which should be more than enough time to ensure an appropriately accountable and transparent governance structure.

In response to your proposal I have a counterproposal which would be to immediately repurpose and reopen the "the steering committee" to be an open "working group".  Have this working group report back to the BB list within a month with a proposal for a governance procedure/structure, have this proposal go to the list for approval through rough consensus and then proceed from there.

And just to note, if your proposal and timing are agreed to, effectively all of the most significant decisions re: BB's position concerning the crucial upcoming meetings--Brazil and its follow-on, WSIS + 10, the MDG (and SDG?) summit with respect to MS procedures and policies going forward, public positioning of BB, and nominations to various MS groups -will all have been more or less finalized by the time a new and fully legitimized/representative Steering Committee will have been put into place.  Of course, I have no doubt at all that this was not the underlying purpose of your proposal but it would quite obviously be the effect.