[bestbits] WHITE HOUSE review report of NSA is OUT

Lorena Jaume-Palasi lorena at collaboratory.de
Thu Dec 19 06:02:48 EST 2013

Hello all,
however I take the motion with a grain of salt. Since the exceptions of a
rule are the part that confer a rule strength (or weakness) I see in the
declaration far too many weaknesses:

Emphasizing that unlawful or arbitrary surveillance and/or interception of
communications, as well as unlawful or arbitrary collection of personal
data, as highly intrusive acts, violate the rights to privacy and freedom
of expression and
may contradict the tenets of a democratic society,
first diluting point: if there is no reform of the corresponding national
security/intelligence laws (in all countries), espionage acts will still be
legal, since those laws authorize the corresponding intelligence agency to
break the laws of a foreign country (not of their own country) and the
principles proposed in the motion have to be implemented by each nation
state. Hence, any surveillance/intelligence operation performed by the own
national intelligence agency on a foreign country will still be legal from
the perspective of the spying nation state and not affected by this.

Noting that while concerns about public security may justify the gathering
and protection of certain sensitive information,
second diluting point: gathering and protection of data due to "public
security" issues are excluded: regulation on intelligence agencies falls
under that category, so again, intelligence agencies are excluded.

States must ensure full compliance with their obligations under
international human rights law,
third diluting point: there is no current international treaty or agreement
on the limits and obligations of intelligence agencies and since this text
fails to do that, it remains so.
In my opinion we need an international treaty that stablishes specifically
(!) limits to the work of intelligence agencies if we really want to
address this issue.
Regards,
Lorena

2013/12/19 Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com>

>   and also this  - the UN motion
>

> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/12/one-small-step-privacy-one-giant-leap-against-surveillance

Lorena Jaume-Palasí, M.A. * Coordinator of the Global Internet Governance
(GIG) Ohu
 Internet & Gesellschaft Co:llaboratory e.V.
www.collaboratory.de *
Newsletter<http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=collaboratory&loc=de_DE>
 * Facebook <http://goo.gl/eJVZn> * Twitter <http://goo.gl/sUFM5> *
<http://www.youtube.com/user/CollaboratoryVideo?feature=CCAQwRs%3D>Youtube<http://www.youtube.com/user/CollaboratoryVideo?feature=CCAQwRs%3D>