[bestbits] Call for expressions of interest: 1net steering committee

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 16:45:39 EST 2013

Thanks Parminder and I should say that I am equally confused.

My primary interest in all this is to ensure that there is a community informatics (CI) voice in pertinent Internet Governance discussions as they go forward; and the CI community is, as we speak, working to formulate rather explicitly what the contents of that intervention should include.

Given the way that things have been evolving and the lack of accountability and transparency in various procedures being followed I have concerns that an “Steering/Coordinating Committee” from CS would not be such as to ensure that the CI voices are heard. But this of course, for me is secondary to ensuring that there is a grassroots/CI intervention into the Brazil meeting and following.

Further the specific role of Inet in all of this is still unclear to me… and whether a priority should be Inet or the Brazil committee ;and I feel reluctant to make an either/or until that lack of clarity has been resolved and at this time feel it necessary to proceed on both tracks at once.

And as with any normal ethical process in this space (or any other) I would as a matter of course recuse myself from any selection process of which I was a direct party.