[bestbits] Save the Date: RightsCon Silicon Valley March 3rd-5th, 2014

Brett Solomon brett at accessnow.org
Fri Dec 6 16:40:20 EST 2013

Dear friends,

As you may know, RightsCon Silicon Valley <http://rightscon.org/> is taking
place March 3-5 in San Francisco at Mission Bay Conference Center. This is
an opportunity for different communities to come together - global
activists, companies, thinkers, investors, engineers and government
officials - to discuss the tensions and opportunities at the intersection
of human rights and the internet.

RightsCon Silicon Valley has a particular focus on technology companies and
aims to create a space for multistakeholder dialogue on human rights best
practices and learnings in the context of the private sector. The event
also takes place 7 weeks before the Brazil meeting and as I mentioned could
be used as a venue to discuss strategy and plans for April.

The program is open to submissions, and we're looking to a range of
networks, including the Bestbits community to help shape the agenda. Here
is the link to propose a
session<https://www.rightscon.org/submit-a-session/why/>.

The deadline for submission is December 20th. If you have questions, check
out the website at rightscon.org, <http://rightscon.org> or email Rian
Wanstreet at rian at accessnow.org, or we can chat more on this list.

For those of you who have participated in RightsCon in the past, we look
forward to seeing you again.

Enjoy your weekends!

Brett

*Speakers to date include: *Rebecca MacKinnon (Ranking Digital Rights);
Alaa Abd El Fattah (one of Egypt's most respected activists and software
engineers (currently detained)); Jim Cowie (CTO, Renesys); John Donahoe
(President & CEO, eBay); Moez Chakchouk (Founder of Tunisia's IXP and
404Labs); Brad Burnham (Union Square Ventures); Colin Crowell (Head of
Global Public Policy, Twitter); Michael Posner (NYU Professor of Business
and Society); Eileen Donahoe (former U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Human
Rights Council); Jillian York (Director for International Freedom of
Expression, EFF); ; Richard Stallman (Founder GNU Project and Free Software
Foundation); David Gorodyansky (CEO & Founder, AnchorFree); Mitchell Baker
(Chairperson, Mozilla Corporation) and many more.

Brett Solomon
Executive Director | Access
accessnow.org
+1 917 969 6077 | skype: brettsolomon | @accessnow