[bestbits] Call for expressions of interest: 1net steering committee

Valeria Betancourt valeriab at apc.org
Thu Dec 5 16:42:01 EST 2013

Dear all,

We would like to propose Anriette's name for the 1net steering
committee role.

Going as CS representatives instead of as representatives of a
particular network would be much better, if possible.

Valeria

On 05/12/2013, at 15:57, Anja Kovacs wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Just to flag that I'd be interested in a 1net steering committee
> role as well.
>
> And Jeremy, in terms of process, could you maybe clarify though
> whether the CS coordination group is planning to select people as
> representatives of a particular network, or simply as CS
> representatives? I would argue that the latter makes more sense, but
> it would be good to know what the coordination group has in mind.
>
> Many thanks,
> Anja
>

> On 6 December 2013 01:53, Carolina Rossini
> <carolina.rossini at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am happy to play one of the roles, since I do believe we need
> consistency and coherency.
> Let me know where I could fit best.
> Carolina
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Dec 5, 2013, at 3:19 PM, matthew shears <mshears at cdt.org> wrote:
>
>> My understanding from some time back was that we had the following:
>>
>> 4 (now 3) persons directly liaising with Brazil on the meeting (not
>> through 1net)
>>
>> And to fill
>>
>> 5 civil society slots on the 1net steering committee (recognizing
>> that civil society liaison for the Brazil meeting is as above).
>>
>> And
>>
>> Some number of civil society slots to be filled on some combination
>> of the actual Brazil meeting committees (to be determined although
>> there are suggestions that there should be 2 from civil society for
>> at least two of the committees).
>>
>> From my perspective, and to echo a point made by Joana earlier, it
>> would seem to make sense that those liaising with Brazil at the
>> moment should probably be a part of the meeting committees to
>> ensure consistency and coherency.
>>
>> As to 1net, it might also make sense for one of the Brazil liaisons
>> to be a part of the 1net civil society steering committee component
>> just to be sure that we have continuity across the various
>> committees/liaisons.
>>
>> Finally, I realize that there is quite some debate about what 1net
>> is or is not but I do believe that there is merit to participating
>> and seeing where it leads us - as we have discussed before.  I
>> would also note that there is considerable merit in bringing
>> stakeholders together and to figuring out what pressing IG related
>> issues those stakeholders can find commonality of purpose on and
>> work together to progress.
>>
>> Matthew
>>
>> On 05/12/2013 13:22, Anja Kovacs wrote:
>>> On 5 December 2013 17:32, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>
>>> wrote:

>>> Anja
>>>
>>> I might have missed it, but I dont remember seeing any proposal to
>>> have our 4 Brazilian liaisons to Brazil meeting organising
>>> structure also be CS reps on the Steering Committee.
>>>
>>> That seemed to be what Jeremy proposed in his initial email, hence
>>> my response, but I also don't recall there being a broader
> [...]

Valeria Betancourt
Directora / Manager
Programa de Políticas de Information y Comunicación / Communication
and Information Policy Programme
Asociación para el Progreso de las Comunicaciones / Association for
Progressive Communications, APC
http://www.apc.org