[bestbits] Nominees to High Level meeting in Bali on "Global Multi-Stakeholder Cyber Ethics Principles"

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed Aug 14 09:22:43 EDT 2013

Tapani Tarvainen <tapani.tarvainen at effi.org> wrote:

> > How about setting up a joint NomCom by inviting members of all the
> > various civil society organizations and networks to volunteer for
> > the NomCom
>
> Just finding all civil society organizations is hard enough,
> let alone getting them to agree... we'd need to get this NomCom
> somehow officially blessed by the IGF or something.
> But if we can get enough support for it, i.e., sufficiently
> large number of CS organizations, it could work.

As I mentioned in my response to Jeremy I'd like to go ahead with this
idea with a target of having something in place in time for the 2014
IGF.

As a first step, I'd like to build a “list of civil society networks in
the area of Internet Governance”, and I've created an Etherpad for this
at

 http://igcaucus.org:9001/p/civil-society-networks

Obviously all of the steering groups etc. of these networks must be
invited to participate in the discussions around creating a Joint Civil
Society NomCom mechanism, or other credible mechanism that could
serve the same purpose.

I however don't think that it is appropriate to restrict these
dicussions only to people who are on some steering group. Therefore I'd
like to broadly circulate a call for expressions of interest for
participation in these discussions, in which everyone who is
(1) experienced as a civil society participant in Internet governance
    debates, and is
(2) clearly primarily participating as a civil society person, with
    reasonable independence from industry and government interests
is invited tp also participate in these discussions on the basis of a
simple expression of interest.

In case of any doubts in regard to whether someone expressing interest
fulfills the criteria (1) and (2), I envision decisions about
application of these to be made group of people which consists of all
the people from the various steering groups of civil society networks.

Greetings,
Norbert