[bestbits] Programme for Best Bits annual meeting

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at consensus.pro
Mon Aug 12 00:54:52 EDT 2013

For what it is worth:

ITU activities and the WSIS+10 review are actually separate things - and the WSIS+10 Review is a bigger thing by far than the ITU's activities, as WSIS is UN-system-wide and the ITU is just one agency.

Given that the WSIS+10 review and the MDG review both take place in 2015, there's an obvious opportunity.

parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

>Thanks to the steering committee for this great start....
>
>I havent much to say about day 1. Maybe a few things, but that later...
>
>Abut day 2
>
>I think we would do well if we try not to look very ITU centric ( and I
>
>can assure, we do)... Last year was different with the WCIT in the
>offing, but this year I dont see why a session should focus on ITU.
>
>As to saying that Snowden or NSA revelations can become a sub item of
>this ITU discussion, quite the opposite is what I think would be in
>order..
>
>Lets be honest, and do justice to the people of the world in whose name
>
>we assemble, work and expend monies.... Internet governance to the
>world
>right now is completely focussed on the Snowden affair. Not only among
>the laity, but even the politically well informed and articulate.
>
>It is bad enough that the IGF wont largely be about NSA revelations
>(even to the extent that Kenya IGF was about the India's CIRP proposal)
>
>although I will be happy to be pleasantly surprised. But I cant see how
>
>a civil society meeting can afford to be not about it. This is my basic
>
>proposition..
>
>I think we need to have a session on something very roughly like the
>'The global Internet after Snowden - What will balkanise the Internet
>and what can keep it sufficiently global' - and if possible come out
>with a statement about it.
>
>At the time of formation of BB, we had promised ourselves a positive
>agenda , and flogging ITU over a day once again is not what I think
>takes us towards that. (Disclaimer: I have long held that the ITU is
>not
>the right place for most global IG work.)
>
>People are interested to know in which directions would post Snowden
>global Internet go. And we should discuss this.
>
>Lets cut the chaff and go directly to what is/ are the issue(s) of
>global governance of the Internet today. For instance - what are the
>global ethics, norms, principles and legal frameworks for trans-border
>flow of data, information and digital services? Who should develop (
>ensure their compliance) and how?
>
>And wh- at is the meaning of ownership of our digital lives, and how
>statist and corporatist controls play with such rightful ownership.
>
>That is what people right now most want to know... Do we have anything
>to say to them, and perhaps say on the behalf of them?
>
>parminder
>

>On Saturday 10 August 2013 09:06 PM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
>> Since the good news that the 2013 IGF will be going ahead after all,
>> it's time to revise and finalise the programme for our annual meeting
>
>> in Bali.  The interim steering group has been talking about this, and
>
>> here was their suggestion for topics (the descriptions are mine
>though):
>>
>> *Day 1*
>>
>> 1) Best Bits itself: goals, structure, processes, fundraising,
> [...]

- Sent from my handheld thingie; please forgive linguistic mangling and brevity.