[bestbits] Important new joint submission to CSTD Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Aug 27 09:24:35 EDT 2013

On 27 Aug 2013, at 04:20, Anriette Esterhuysen wrote:

> A more powerful GAC can also pose risks for freedom of
> expression and assocition.

Some of us believe that with the GAC, the Governments have already achieved  near veto over ICANN decisions, and already control ICANN for all intents and purposes.  Not a situation I am happy about, but it is what it is.

As I mentioned before, I did not think those on the WGEC should contribute to statements so I stayed out of the discussions. But now that they are over, I figure I can comment. The idea that governments should control ICANN is sort of speaking about something that has already happened.

avri