[bestbits] Important new joint submission to CSTD Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Sat Aug 24 05:22:25 EDT 2013

On 24/08/2013, at 8:45 PM, genekimmelman at gmail.com wrote:

>> also, instead of calling the UN as haven for such regime,  better to say being prone to be influenced by..... or 'the membership includes....'
>>
> I like Parminder's suggestion

This defeats the intent behind it though, which is not to say that the UN is a haven for tyrannical regimes, but that it is inevitably characterised as one by those who raise alarm bells whenever it is suggested that a UN body might take a role in Internet governance.  Since some of those raising the alarm bells are also those practising their own human rights abuses, the original language sought to underline the irony of this.  This parallel is now weakened, but I don't think we need to weaken it further by removing the already qualified statement that the UN is characterised "by some" as a have for tyrannical regimes, because this is part and parcel of the "UN takeover of the Internet" meme that we are offering a more nuanced alternative to.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge hub |http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.

WARNING: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.