Best Bits venue announced!

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Wed Sep 5 01:27:11 EDT 2012

Hello all,

A short note with some more progress on Best Bits
(http://igf-online.net/bestbits).

The venue for the meeting will be the *Days Hotel*:
http://www.dayshotelbaku.com/.  Now that we know this, it means that the
meeting can be more broadly advertised, so please feel free to send the
above link through your networks, particularly amongst those who plan to
attend the IGF (provided that they are self-funded for travel and
accommodation).

Individuals for whom travel funding is available are being contacted
directly.  So far, only four recipients have been shortlisted, all from
developing countries.  We hope that more support will be available in
due course, but at this stage you are advised to make your own
arrangements if you can.  Thanks again to Google for their support.  I
am also putting my money where my mouth is and plan to support up to an
additional three participants through Consumers International.  Will
your organisation do the same?

If you are not a recipient of assistance, you can still benefit from our
special rate at the Days Hotel, which is EUR80 for single occupancy, or
EUR90 for twin share.  The Days Hotel offers a free shuttle from the
airport, separate from the IGF shuttles which won't start until later.
*Please reply privately**if you want to reserve a room* at the Days
Hotel at your own cost - and for which nights.  Please also indicate
whether you would be *willing to twin-share your room* with someone else
of the same gender who needs assistance with their accommodation.

Finally, for those who have not yet done so, please check your name on
the Best Bits pad at http://igf-online.net/bestbits to make sure that it
accurately reflects your status - both in the Participants section, and
in the Schedule.  Whilst not having your name in the schedule doesn't
mean you can't present, it would be helpful to know who plans to do so.

Also please remember that there are three tracks of preparation for the
meeting:

  * Bill Drake is coordinating preparation of a draft civil society
    statement to WCIT to be finalised at the meeting.  Please contact
    him if you wish to participate.
  * Wolfgang Kleinwächter is similarly coordinating preparation of a
    civil society declaration of Internet governance principles for the
    IGF, to be finalised at the meeting.
  * Andrew Puddephatt is compiling a set of briefing papers to be
    distributed ahead of the meeting to facilitate knowledge sharing on
    topics to be discussed there.  Please send your contribution to him,
    or reply to this list with ideas of topics on which you would like
    to contribute.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

*Your rights, our mission -- download CI's Strategy 2015:*
http://consint.info/RightsMission

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational