Arrived in good order in Baku

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 22:24:22 EDT 2012

I arrived yesterday midday ontime (Turkish Airlines via Istanbul) and after
a wee bit of to-ing and fro-ing around the visa (they didn't seem to have
the procedures quite worked out for IGF folks but nothing major) and was
very kindly escorted to a waiting van (Parminder had arrived earlier and was
waiting for us to arrive in the van).  They then drove us into town and
directly to the apartment that I had rented in the centre (through AirBnB)
where the young lady (she spoke excellent English) helped us get comfortably
settled into the apartment.

Everything worked quite well, with reasonable efficiency and sufficient good
humour and would wish the same for everyone else.

(Took a taxi last night to go to dinner with a friend--taxi driver didn't
seem to know the city at all and drove around and around (I had negotiated a
price with him before we started). Ended up about 10 minutes walk from where
we started
 The friend knew a marvellous if fairly expensive 500 (?) year
old restaurant with fantastic food and traditional Azari music in the old
city very near to where we have rented the apartment.)