Regarding Including Civil society to World Conference on International Telecommunications (WCIT) in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, from 3-14 December 2012 with Bangladesh Delegation

AHM Bazlur Rahman ceo at bnnrc.net
Sun Nov 4 06:29:09 EST 2012

*Advocate Sahara Khatun*
Hon’ble Minister
Ministry of Posts & Telecommunications
Bangladesh Secretariat
Dhaka 1000

Subject: *Regarding Including us to World Conference on International
Telecommunications (WCIT) in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, from 3-14
December 2012 with Bangladesh Delegation*

*Dear Hon’ble Minister,*
Greetings from Bangladesh NGOs Network for Radio and Communication (BNNRC)
BNNRC is in Special Consultative Status with the UN Economic and Social
Council & accredited with UN World Summit on Information Society (UN WSIS).

BNNRC is a national networking body working for building a democratic
society based on the principles of free flow of information, equitable &
affordable access to Information & Communication Technology for Development
(ICT4D) of remote & marginalized population through;

*Right to Information for ensuring improved livelihood of the marginalized *
*ICT for Development for Bridging the Digital Divide in rural areas*
*Community Radio/Community Television for amplifying voices for the
voiceless & Amateur Radio for Disaster Risk Reduction & Telecommunication
for Empowerment *

*Dear Hon’ble Minister,*
We write to express our desire to participate in an open public national
consultation and Bangladesh Delegation as the government of Bangladesh
prepares for the World Conference on International Telecommunications
(WCIT) in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, from 3-14 December 2012.

As you may be aware, the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) has
historically played an important role in the areas of spectrum management,
telecommunications regulation, and promoting the use of information and
telecommunications technology for development. Yet, we have great concerns
regarding the transparency of the WCIT preparatory process and some of the
proposed revisions to the International Telecommunication Regulations
(ITRs) currently being considered by some ITU member states which could
expand the scope of the ITRs to include issues of internet policy.

The continued success of the internet depends on the full, equal, and
meaningful participation of multiple stakeholders in technical management
of and decision-making for information and communications technology.

Indeed, the Bangladesh government made a commitment to a multi-stakeholder
approach to information and communications technology management and
decision-making at the UN World Summit on Information Society (UN WSIS)

In line with the WSIS commitments, we respectfully request an open,
transparent, and inclusive national consultation to solicit input on
proposed amendments to the ITRs from all relevant stakeholders.
To this end, we ask that you release all of Bangladesh proposed revisions
to the ITRs for public debate and clarify your stance on whether the scope
of the ITRs should be expanded to include areas of internet policy making.

We are particularly concerned with proposals that could impact the exercise
of human rights in the digital age, including freedom of expression, access
to information, and privacy rights, as well as those that would undermine
the openness and integrity of the global internet. We recall the recent UN
Human Rights Council resolution which asserted that governments have a duty
to protect human rights online.

The undersigned Bangladesh NGOs Network for Radio and Communication (BNNRC)
welcome the opportunity to engage with Bangladesh delegation in the
preparatory process and at the WCIT itself, consistent with the WSIS
commitments.

We urge you to ensure the outcomes of the WCIT truly represent the common
interests of all who have a stake in the future of our information society.
We hope that we can work together to address these issues in an inclusive
and transparent manner.

We look forward to a formal response to this letter.
With best regards,

*
*
*AHM. Bazlur Rahman-S21BR*
Chief Executive Officer
Bangladesh NGOs Network for
Radio and Communication
Cc:
*Mr. Hasanul Huq Inu, MP*
Hon’ble Minister, Ministry of Information

*Md. Abu Bakar Siddique, *
Secretary, Ministry of Posts & Telecommunications

*Mr. Sunil Kanti Bose*
Chairman, Bangladesh Telecommunication
Regulatory Commission (BTRC)