notes from today

Andrew Puddephatt Andrew at global-partners.co.uk
Sat Nov 3 14:46:42 EDT 2012

Here's the summary produced by Pranesh of our discussion. We'll revisit this tomorrow – sectios in [] are under consideration

"[* There are many legitimate concerns that governments have, but ... ]

We are compelled to point out that the process of the revision of the ITRs have not been sufficiently inclusive and transparent, in spite of the the ITU Secretariat's [efforts/claims/efforts and claims] of transparency]

## Process of WCIT

Member-states, in most cases, have not held open, broad-based, public consultations.  In order to address this deficiency, as a minimum, we would urge:

* All member states to make their proposals available to the public.
* The ITU Secretariat, to take as one step in increasing transparency of the WCIT will be to have a live webcast with the video, audio, and text transcripts, as far as possible, to enable participation by all, including persons with disabilities.
* All member states to support proposals to open sessions of the the WCIT meeting to the public.
* The ITU Secretariat and member-states to make as much documentation publicly available as possible on the ITU's website, so that civil society will provide substantive input on member-states' proposals as they are made available.
* Member-states [to encourage civil society participation and] increase the involvement of civil society in their national delegations.
* The ITU to create spaces during the WCIT for civil society to express their views as was done during the WSIS process.

====

## Scope of the ITR
* International regulation is required around technical issue limited to telecommunications networks and interoperability standards.
[* The International Telecommunications Regulations should in no way involve regulation of the Internet.]
[* The ITU should not adopt any regulations that would preclude any language that would limit 'net neutrality' principles.]
* If it could have a negative impact on evolution of multistakeholder Internet governance arrangements.
* If it could have a negative impact on the public's rights to privacy and freedom of expression and access.

====

* Scope of the ITR (lack of agreement)
* [Recognized operating agencies, and not other organizations and persons.]
* [The ITRs should be dedicated to the physical infrastructure layer and not the logical infrastructure and not processing of the signals and intelligence that travel over the physical infrastructure layer.]

See you tomorrow at 9
Andrew Puddephatt, Director          Global Partners and Associates
Development House, 56-64 Leonard St, EC2A 4LT, UK
Office 44 (0)207 549 0350
Mobile: +44 (0)771 339 9597
andrew at global-partners.co.uk<mailto:andrew at global-partners.co.uk>                  www.global-partners.co.uk<http://www.global-partners.co.uk/>