urgent call for ITU-related microgrant proposals

Kevin Bankston kbankston at cdt.org
Mon Nov 12 05:19:53 EST 2012

Hello again, everyone--

Here's the final microgrant call for proposals.  The only changes since yesterday are the addition of the email address to which you should submit (apply at mozillafoundation.org) and a clarification of the deadline (midnight GMT on Wednesday night).  Please forward to anyone you think could quickly make good ITU-related use of a thousand dollars.

Thanks,
Kevin

Open Internet Microgrants to Support Civil Society Engagement with the ITU
On December 3rd, the world’s governments will begin a ten-day meeting in Dubai to update a key treaty of a UN agency called the International Telecommunication Union (ITU). Some proposed changes to that treaty could threaten Internet openness and innovation, increase access costs, and erode human rights online. We are urgently calling for projects that will help give civil society organizations that support an open Internet a stronger voice before and during that key meeting, the World Conference on International Telecommunications (WCIT).

What We Want to Support
Efforts to influence your government's position in the lead up to the WCIT meeting.
Costs for civil society representatives to participate at WCIT in Dubai, provided you are already a part of your country's delegation or have otherwise demonstrated commitment and expertise in this area.
Provision of basic technical infrastructure and tools that let civil society representatives on the ground in Dubai coordinate and communicate with each other, their home organizations, and the media.

The Details
The call for proposal opens up on Nov. 12 and closes at 12 AM GMT Nov. 15 (i.e., midnight the night of the 14th).
This is a micro grant fund. There is a total of $10,000 available. Ideally, we will be supporting 8-10 projects from that amount. That means your grant will be approximately $1,000.
You need to be able to receive a wire transfer to a bank account. It can be your personal bank account. Individuals can apply.
We will contact you if we have any questions or to award you the grant. If you have not heard from us by November 16, we will have chosen not to provide support to your project.
Once a decision has been made, you will receive a letter from Mozilla summarizing the project you've proposed and agreeing to provide you the funds.
When the project is done, you will need to provide us a letter telling us what happened, how it went, and what you think you accomplished.

The Criteria
We will give preference to proposals that:
Ideally, show 1:1 matching support
Demonstrate your capacity to effect positive change
Facilitate regionally diverse participation in the WCIT
Can be implemented quickly

What We Need to Know
Send an e-mail to apply at mozillafoundation.org with the following information. If you are applying for travel support, be sure to tell us whether or not you are already included in your country's delegation.
Name:
E-mail:
Organization (if applicable):
Country: