RE: FW: Hamadoun Touré Op-Ed in Wired +

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 01:35:55 EST 2012

Hi Pranesh,

I agree and it would be good if that were spelled out, but even if it is only at the level of theory it is something that CS should be supporting (or at least not criticizing/rejecting...

I can see (although not agree with) why some might be so concerned by a "UN (ITU) 'takeover' of the Internet" that they would take completely rejectionist stance towards the ITU, but I see no reason why CS should take such a position.

I think that our position as an international and internationally representative group should be rather more nuanced and particularly around issues of extension of access to those currently without such access which has to be one if not the most central of our concerns.