Hoping to get your sign on- Civil Society Unity Statement on WCIT

Steve Anderson steve at openmedia.ca
Wed Nov 7 04:29:31 EST 2012

Done! Others can sign on to the statement themselves here:
http://protectinternetfreedom.net/

Or you can just email me like Wolfgang did.

Here's the statement:

"Internet governance decisions should be made in a transparent manner with
genuine multistakeholder participation from civil society, governments, and
the private sector. We call on the ITU and its member states to embrace
transparency and reject any proposals that might expand ITU authority to
areas of Internet governance that threaten the exercise of human rights
online."

Current signatories:

Bangladesh

❯ Monthly Community Media
❯ ChangeMaker - Society for Social and Economic Development
❯ Center for E-Parliament Research
❯ Machizo Multimedia Communication
❯ Bangladesh Internet Governance Forum
❯ Bangladesh NGOs Network for Radio and Communication(BNNRC)

Belgium

❯ CCIA
❯ European Youth Forum (YFJ)
❯ IFIP

Brazil

❯ Instituto NUPEF
❯ CTS/FGV

Canada

❯ Samuelson Glushko Canadian Internet Policy & Public Interest Clinic
(CIPPIC)
❯ OpenMedia
❯ Affinity Bridge
❯ Simple Jobz
❯ Centre for Community Informatics Research, Development and Training

Chile

❯ ONG Derechos Digitales

Egypt

❯ Global Voices Arabic Lingua

Germany

❯ European Summer School on Internet Governance (SSIG)
❯ Committee for a Democratic U.N.

Indonesia

❯ ICT Watch Indonesia

International

❯ Consumers International
❯ Human Rights Watch
❯ OpenMedia International
❯ Reporters Without Borders
❯ Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
❯ Access
❯ Global Voices Advocacy

Morocco

❯ Mamfakinch

New Zealand

❯ InternetNZ

Nigeria

❯ AgeCare Foundation
❯ Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources

Pakistan

❯ Digital Rights Foundation

Senegal

❯ ADEC

Spain

❯ Complutense Univ.- Cyberlaw Clinic

Thailand

❯ Thai Netizen Network

Uganda

❯ i freedom Uganda

United Kingdom

❯ Code Curators
❯ In Your Face Studios

United States

❯ Fight For The Future
❯ May First/People Link
❯ Center for Democracy and Technology
❯ Free Press

Sign on here:
http://protectinternetfreedom.net/

--
Steve Anderson
Executive Director, OpenMedia.ca
steve at openmedia.ca

Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook

*The TPP's Internet trap is secretive, extreme, and it could criminalize
your daily use of the Internet. Take a stand: http://StopTheTrap.net

What will online spying cost you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dZILMivNgI&list=UUC-1UQ7bpqa_HpRCDfmCQUg&index=1&feature=plcp

Confidentiality Warning: This message and any attachments are intended only
for the use of the intended recipient(s), are confidential, and may be
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any review, retransmission, conversion to hard copy, copying,
circulation or other use of this message and any attachments is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message and any attachments
from your system. Thank you.

Information confidentielle: Le présent message, ainsi que tout fichier qui
y est joint, est envoyé à l'intention exclusive de son ou de ses
destinataires; il est de nature confidentielle et peut constituer une
information privilégiée. Nous avertissons toute personne autre que le
destinataire prévu que tout examen, réacheminement, impression, copie,
distribution ou autre utilisation de ce message et de tout fichier qui y
est joint est strictement interdit. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire
prévu, veuillez en aviser immédiatement l'expéditeur par retour de courriel
et supprimer ce message et tout document joint de votre système. Merci.

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 10:53 AM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" <
wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de> wrote:

> Please add European Summer School on Internet Governance (SSIG) / Prof.
Wolfgang Kleinwächter to the list.

> ________________________________

that it has been submitted with such broad sign on.

> As many of you know, there's been a really concise, less technical
statement, that a number of groups have been involved in drafting and
reviewing, a process that started a many weeks ago.

> More so than critiquing specific proposals, the goal of this statement is
to mobilize grassroots groups and actors, and to get out a very simple
message about the potential implications of the ITR revisions for human
rights. The rationale for this statement is to create a concise rallying
cry that diverse international civil society groups and individuals can
sign - once they sign, the groups will be asked to activate their networks
to be involved in other activism efforts and individuals will be contacted
about future activism efforts as well..

> Unlike the Best Bits submission, it is intentionally brief - this was
created for organizations and people who aren't deeply engaged on this
issue. That said, we think it's very important to get broad sign on from
groups on this list because of your expertise and influence.

> We're also planning to submit the statement to the ITU comments page. The
following groups have signed on to the statement of unity: Access, Center
for Democracy and Technology, Consumers International, Electronic Frontier
Foundation (EFF), Fight For The Future, Free Press,Human Rights Watch, ICT
Watch Indonesia, Mamfakinch, May First/People Link,, OpenMedia (Canada),
OpenMedia (International), Open Technology Institute, Reporters Without
Borders, Samuelson Glushko Canadian Internet Policy & Public Interest
Clinic (CIPPIC), and Thai Netizen Network.

> The text of the of the unity statement is below. Please email Steve
Anderson at OpenMedia (steve at openmedia.ca) or reply to this email if your
organization would like to sign on. We are also accepting sign on from
individuals. You can also view the statement at
http://protectinternetfreedom.net/ (just note that there will be some small
tweaks to the website).

>         On December 3rd, the world's governments will meet to update a
key treaty of a UN agency called the International Telecommunication Union
(ITU). Some governments are proposing to extend ITU authority to Internet
governance in ways that could threaten Internet openness and innovation,
increase access costs, and erode human rights online.

>         We call on civil society organizations and citizens of all
nations to sign the following Statement to Protect Global Internet Freedom: