FW: [bestbits] Your sign on requested- Civil society statement post-WCIT

Deborah Brown deborah at accessnow.org
Fri Dec 21 13:01:11 EST 2012

Dear Michael,

Thank you for raising these issues. I think there are a few
misunderstandings here that I hope I can clarify.

This statement is not meant to act as a spokesperson for civil society or
Best Bits. As I noted in my email that was forwarded to this list, the
statement "is meant to be complementary to other post-WCIT civil society
statements that focus on the substance of the ITRs." If renaming the
document "A civil society statement..." and including "the undersigned
members of" before mentions of "civil society" would clarify that, I think
we can definitely make those changes.

As it happens, a number of organizations that were very involved in Best
Bits have endorsed the statement, so listing those organizations should be
a good indication of who within Best Bits supports the statement, and who
does not.

Also, this is not an Access statement, but was drafted by some civil
society representatives who were present in Dubai. As one of the people who
was remaining in Dubai towards the end, I volunteered to circulate the
statement for sign on. It has around 20 signatories at the moment. I am
happy to circulate this list once I have had the chance to collect the
names.

If I understand correctly, much of your criticism is related to the limited
scope of issues and principles that this statement addresses. I cannot
speak on behalf of the group that drafted this, but I believe that the
focus was kept narrow and focused mostly on the issues raised in the letter
that was presented to the ITU ahead of the 10 December meeting
with Hamadoun Touré (letter accessible here:
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1LiM3FfKF8Fgih7Um7v2vK20J2AigneGrgJ93YTbqLSM
)

I will take your concerns back to the group that drafted this and see if
there is appetite for revising the statement at this late date. If there is
not, hopefully making the changes I mentioned at the end of the second
paragraph of this email will be sufficient in clarifying that this
statement only has the support of the groups/individuals whose names are
listed on the public version.

I regret any miscommunications/misunderstandings here. Thank you again for
your feedback and I look forward to continuing this discussion.

Best regards,
Deborah

--
Deborah Brown