WSIS+10 workshop?, was Re: [bestbits] Next steps on principles (was Re: Coordination...)

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 04:59:47 EST 2012

I'm very unlikely to get funding to be in Geneva but I would like to comment
on the idea of a BestBits workshop at WSIS+10.

First, I think it is a great idea and we should be building on the limited
concensus that we achieved in Baku to move forward beyond some of the
impasses of the past and towards some positive statements as folks have been
mentioning in this thread.

I do want to take exception to Bill's comments below however and suggest
that issues of finanicial disequilibria resulting from an Internet based
global economy is something that we should be addressing (if not us, then
who...

The issue here is to my mind, is as I discussed it in my earlier blogpost
http://gurstein.wordpress.com/2012/10/11/the-ituwcit-thinking-about-internet
-regulatory-policy-from-an-ldc-perspective/ is how to provide revenue
streams to LDC's in the area of ICTs to support the extension of ICTs into
underserved areas/populations and to overall support local infrastructure
maintenance and development as well at some point making a contribution to
general revenues for other public services.

I think/realize there is a lot of conceptual work that needs to be done in
this area especially if we move towards a model of the Internet as a global
public resource/public good as I think we should be suggesting.  In that
instance some financial mechanism for supporting development at the edges
(as the Internet folks are always arguing for and indicating is currently
being done) would begin I think to come into focus.

BTW, I think we should also at some point discuss the issue of whether or
not there is an actual or potential conflict of interest in having members
of a Civil Society caucus either at or in preparatory discussions for an
event who are also members of national delegations or paid employees of
companies with interests in the matters under discussion.

Mike