Second draft of concept note for "Best Bits" meeting - sign-ons now sought

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Mon Aug 13 00:36:30 EDT 2012

Hi Jeremy

Two quick morning coffee reactions from Oslo.  First, as I mentioned to you in Tokyo, by way of background we might want to look at some of the previous efforts to connect various groups/networks around interstitial issues to see if anything of relevance can be gleaned, e.g. http://www.apc.org/en/node/9788/.  Might help to avoid reinventing broken wheels etc.

Second, I have to wonder about the venue choice.  How often have we heard of CS folks we work with going to IIC events?  Or even refer to the IIC?  I did stuff with them in the 80s and 90s but could not tell you anything about what they've been doing since then.  I'd have thought Baku a more apt opportunity.  While the 5th-9th are booked solid, a lot of people do come a day earlier and/or stay a day later, particularly if there's advance notice before they buy tix.  Some might be willing to give up some tourism time if there's a useful meeting…just a thought.

Best,

Bill