[governance] ICANN to Hold First-Ever Remote Public Meeting

Chris Prince Udochukwu Njọkụ udochukwu.njoku at unn.edu.ng
Fri Feb 21 05:11:05 EST 2020

I'm really excited by the acceptance and enthusiasm shown for this move by
discussants here.  Notwithstanding the difficulties people in different
ends are having with connectivity and using some online tools in the
meantime, the Internet have interesting ROI capabilities that needs to be
tested and proved.  Enabling larger and more inclusive meetings is one.

Arsene:  > Also, how are the fellowship/nextgen programs going to be
handled? Most
> of these participants are not used to using Zoom or other remote
> participation tools.
Julf:  I guess it is a great chance to learn the most important tools for
participating in ICANN policy work.

Yes, Julf.  I think fellowship programs were necessitated by the reality
that some potential leaders/change makers would be unable to contribute to
and learn from significant discussions because of the monetary costs
involved in attending onsite meetings and so they need to be sponsored.  *If
people will need to be helped to afford better connectivity and to learn to
use online meeting tools, that will be worth investing in, and I think it's
cost effective.*

Chris Prince Udochukwu *Njọkụ*, Ph.D.
Computer Communications Centre
University of Nigeria, Nsukka 410001
@DrCPUNjoku

 We mustn't remain with old ways of doing things,

especially if they're not yielding optimum results.