[governance] Joining mailing list vs. being a voting member of IGC

Becky Lentz roberta.lentz at mcgill.ca
Tue Jul 30 09:53:30 EDT 2019

Dear Ian,

Thank you for posting this.

You indicate that "There is a lot of relevant copy in the Charter and other information on www.igcaucus.org<http://www.igcaucus.org> - but I don't think a clear answer to the questions!”.

Given the IGC’s current structure, is there a ‘standing committee’ (aka, a permanent working committee with rotating membership and governance guidance) that works specifically on IGC governance issues (that does/presents fact finding, suggestions for voting, etc.)? If not, can one be considered as the IGC embarks on the process already underway related to caucus infrastructure? The infrastructure is more than just what technical platforms we use for communication and information-sharing.

Also, while we all could be considered ‘hybrids” — as members of civil society with many other possible affiliations (similar to given and chosen groups in Folbre’s work; http://uregina.ca/~gingrich/f1.htm) — it seems important to consider when we join the IGC as a civil society member that we explore ways to make more transparent to whom we are accountable in our work as IGC members. For example, how does my work possibly change if I am being accountable only to myself or if I am contributing as a member of a group or groups?

The relationship between transparency and trust deserves discussion so expectations of members and also the Caucus itself are more clear. The integrity and value of the ‘work’ of the Caucus depends on this I would think.

Best,
Becky