[governance] Statement by IGC on Huan Qi's sentencing

ian.peter at ianpeter.com ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sat Aug 3 13:29:58 EDT 2019

I am not happy with the tone of this.

If you actually want something to happen and for China to listen, I
would suggest removing phrases such as "Huang Qi's persecution and
imprisonment reflects China’s continued repression of free speech."
That will achieve nothing towards securing a release.

I think earlier on Chaitanya was alluding to the need for a more
diplomatic post, when he suggested (along with a third suggestion which
everyone rejected)

- Huang Qi has greatly strengthened China as a country by bringing to
the foreground these issues (corruption & human rights issues).
- It is our (my) view that he should be honoured as a strong contributor
to society.

I can see the logic in including such phrases and in phrasing a letter
so that it is not so much an attack on a country who we are asking to
take a specific action to free someone who we believe has been
wrongfully imprisoned.

Ian