[governance] Legal Status of National IGFs

Carlos Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Tue Apr 12 11:37:58 EDT 2016

Dear Arsene,

My understanding is that the national IGFs are events organized by many
groups of all sectors -- always present the idea of pluralist participation.

In practical terms, if there are sponsorships which involve money, it is
appropriate to have an organization to take care of this aspect and, of
course, be recognized by participants regarding proper accountability.

In Brazil this is easy -- CGI.br is the main sponsor and takes care of
most of the logistical/administrative matters through its NGO, NIC.br.
Each country will have its own peculiarities. Our organizing committee
is just this, a committee with participation of all sectors.

One important detail is to recall that the national events are
opportunities for structuring national governance dialogues' processes
-- in other words, the issues do not "die" with the end of each event,
and mechanisms to continue the dialogue are created.

fraternal regards

--c.a.

On 4/11/16 09:37, Arsene TUNGALI (Yahoo) wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> We are in the process of having our first national IGF in the DRC and we
> are wondering what legal status to give to it. Is is a non profit? a
> movement? This question has been asked by our Ministry in charge of ICT
> to us as the organizing committee.
>
> I am writing to inquire which legal status your national initiatives
> have within your countries. This will help us know how our Secretariat
> and our own form of MAG will operate. Please do share your experiences.
>
> Thanks for your support,
> Arsene

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

Carlos A. Afonso