[governance] BRICS & NMI

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jul 11 08:48:31 EDT 2015

On Saturday 11 July 2015 02:06 AM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wrote:

> Hi.
>
> here is an interersting article from the BRICS Meeting in The Hindu:
> http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/brics-leaders-meet-in-ufa-for-the-annual-summit/article7400020.ece

One is indeed thankful to the Net Mundial Initiative (NMI) for giving a
concrete body to what multistakeholderism (with regard to public policy
issues, and for God's sake not technical management and stuff)) is all
about - something that was being desperately avoided till now.

It confirms some fundamental facts about multistakeholderism (repeat,
with regard to public policy issues).

1. it is more to obfuscate and stall movement on such issues than to
contribute anything concrete. As NMI has indeed been principally formed
to anticipate and nullify any possibilities from the WSIS plus 10
process, something that the chief achitect of NMI, Fad,i has more or
less openly stated. So, we keep hearing more empty statements, and see
more non-activity disguised as activity. (Pointing to issue mapping done
by others can hardly be described as a contribution.) Nobody has any
idea what this Initiative is really meant to do or is going to do, but
we are supposed to cheer it nonetheless.

2. MSism is really about big business's domination of public policy
processes, and a platform using which big business could influence them
early, mostly with a view to stall and veto any 'undesirable'
possibilities. Developments about the NMI continues to prove this fact.
But just because they have roped in a big business from China (one which
is the only Internet business on the governing body of the WEF, and so a
bit obvious), one that certainly has global ambitions and footprints,
for some strange reason we are supposed to get extremely happy.

3. On a lesser note, with due apologies, it is about cooptation, and
keeping a lot of civil society leaders occupied and happy. Which inter
alia defangs civil society capacity .

Wolfgang, btw, wanted a clarification, your article ends with 'there is
a lot to do' immediately after the sentence about BRICS underlining "the
need for a universal regulatory binding instrument on combating the
criminal use of ICTS under UN auspices." Did not understand what you
meant here. Thanks for clarifying.

parminder