[governance] .WINE .VIN - who's business is it ?

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Mon May 26 17:19:58 EDT 2014

Good evening by GMT time:

Thank you, Sir, for pointing out the art. 4 of ICANN Bylaws. This is
exactly the kind of correspondence I had in mind, and kind of discussion I
would rather see take place, when I wrote the following paragraph in my

<quote>

Now that doesn't necessarily mean that ICANN should automatically abide by
that opinion or those arguments. If the organization determines that there
are solid, internationally defensible legal grounds to go ahead with the
decision, they might still do just that (while responding to the said
government explaining their grounds) until a legitimate obstacle is met, in
accordance to their own rules and procedures which has been sanctioned by
the community at one point or the other in the past.

</quote>

I missed to mention "local law" but I do remember the language of that
article came up a lot in trademark related discussions while we were
developing the policy for new gTLDs in 2006 and 2007 (and, I'm sure,
beyond.) And I would agree that it is relevant here. So it may well be that
USG writes to ICANN to argue a position and still loses the argument in the
end (although in this case, it's only a hypothesis at this point and ICANN
may face other objections, based on different grounds, which might prove to
be even more determinant that the one currently raised by USG.)

Regards,

Mawaki

Mawaki Chango, PhD
Founder and Owner