[governance] Marco Civil in English

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Wed Mar 26 17:51:54 EDT 2014

As I read it, it will be very difficult for internet service providers to maintain security of email / messaging and internet traffic.

For example, sometimes, to report security incidents, connection logs may have to be shared with another ISP (to show details of an attack for example - certainly the username must be anonymized but destination / source IP address would be needed to show traffic flows), or to adequately perform spam filtering / network security filtering for attacks or malware (which often uses some amount of packet inspection or email content inspection.

I admire the clarity of the rest of the bill, but a degree of security measures need to be maintained and safe harbour provided for these security measures, in the own interest of the users.  Was any input provided by cert-br to Marco Civil?

--srs (iPad)

> On 27-Mar-2014, at 0:18, Carolina Rossini <carolina.rossini at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> dah...
>

>> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Diego Rafael Canabarro <diegocanabarro at gmail.com> wrote:
>> No attachment, Carol.
>>

>>> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Carolina Rossini <carolina.rossini at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> (sorry for cross-posting)
>>>
>>> attached I send a draft version in english done by Raquel Gatto from ISOC Brazil.
>>>
>>> Articles of interest:
>>>
>>> 3 - principles: I - freedom of expression, II - privacy protection, III - protection of personal data, IV - NN, V - preservation of security, stability and functionality of the network, VI - liability of actors, VII - preservation of the participate nature of the internet,  VII - freedoms for business models - which telcos have already commented on in a press release saying this is freedom of consumer choice and is related to different prices for speeds and services)
>>> 7 and 8 - good articles regulating and protecting freedom of expression and privacy
>>> 9 - NN
>>> 11 - they took out mandate to nationalize databases and now the article say when the Brazilian law is applicable (jurisdiction was always the main issue here)
>>> 13 - log retention for 1 year by the access provider
>>> 15 - log retention for 6 months by the application provider
>>> 18, 19 and 20 - take down of content with judicial order and ISP liability just after that