[governance] FW: [IP] Forget the NSA. Tech Companies May Be Reading Your Email Too

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Fri Mar 21 21:17:28 EDT 2014

Keeping local data local is rather hard from a technical point of view, especially when it is something like SMTP based email.  And even when you crack that problem, there's the question of where to keep it reliably - how many countries have the clean power, high quality datacenters, trained staff locally available to keep things running, adequate and non lossy network connectivity with extensive international bandwidth across multiple redundant links etc necessary for such a move?

[Note - even countries which have their own local datacenters may not have one or more of the rest of these criteria]

I am glad that such a knotty technical problem amuses you, but of course you aren't the one called upon to offer a solution to it.

--srs (iPad)