[governance] re: stakeholder

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Jul 29 04:48:13 EDT 2014

On 28-Jul-14 17:19, Deirdre Williams wrote:

> Responding to Ian's reminder, and to the discussion generally - what
>  is a stake? who holds one? how/why do they hold it?

Sometime a word is just a word.

All words have many uses and definitions, and yes, the old origin of the
word was someone who held the stakes (wagers) in a bet.  The usage I
tend toward (though I am sure i could quibble over the words, but it
comes close, come from project management.

This one is from
<http://www.projectmanagementdocs.com/blog/what-is-a-stakeholder.html>

but it is only one of a many similar reference that can be found.

> " Loosely defined, a stakeholder is a person or group of people who
> can affect or be affected by a given project. Stakeholders can be
> individuals working on a project, groups of people or organizations,
> or even segments of a population. A stakeholder may be actively
> involved in a project’s work, affected by the project’s outcome, or
> in a position to affect the project’s success. "

In this case the project is the Internet, its health as an open and
global resource including its extension beyond the digital divide to all
the world's people.

It would probably be a good idea to specialize the definition for use in
Ig discussions, but that is the general idea I have in mind when I use it.

And in all of this, I can only speak for my understandings.

avri