[governance] Re: Root Server

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Thu Jul 24 15:10:42 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 09:08:00AM -0400,
 David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote
 a message of 64 lines which said:

> Based on discussion that occurred day before yesterday during the
> IETF (DNSOP working group), that draft doesn't appear to have a lot
> of support, primarily due to potential operational difficulties due
> to the complexity inherent in the proposed routing architecture.

I would not summarize it this way. The main concern expressed during
the DNSOP meeting in Toronto was of debugging (people outside of your
organization do not see your "root name server" and so cannot help
debugging it). The draft does not propose a new "routing architecture"
besides the already mastered anycast routing.

> Another draft that may be of interest is:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wkumari-dnsop-dist-root-01

Which is very different technically and, IMHO, less sound from an
architectural point of view (since it mixes resolvers and
authoritative servers).

This second draft is just the old idea of "slaving the root", under a
different name.